Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Looking for a pizza crust recipe? Try this spelt crust recipe.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1/2 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tbsp whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp grated yellow onion
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup all-natural jarred tomato sauce
- 1 1-lb pizza crust of your choice (whole-wheat, gluten-free or cauliflower)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, combine turkey, 2 tbsp Parmesan, panko, onion, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Form into 1 tbsp balls and arrange in a single layer on a large parchment-lined baking sheet, making about 16 balls total. Mist balls with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. When cool enough to handle, cut meatballs in half. Keep oven at 425°F and carefully arrange oven rack in bottom third of oven.
- Spread tomato sauce evenly over crust. Top with mozzarella, meatballs cut side down, bell peppers and remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Nutrients Per Serving (1/8 of pizza with whole-wheat crust): Calories: 218, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 16 g, Sodium: 512 mg, Cholesterol: 25 mg