Cauliflower Steaks with Quick-Braised Swiss Chard
Why splurge on infused oils when you can so easily (and inexpensively) make your own? Here, we quickly heat sage and garlic in oil to add herbaceous notes to the cauliflower and greens.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 12 small cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 12 whole leaves fresh sage + 4 tsp finely chopped, divided
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 2 bunches Swiss chard (about 24 oz total)
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted white kidney (aka cannellini) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup jarred or BPA-free canned unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar, divided
1. Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 450°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a small skillet on medium-low, heat oil. Add garlic and cook, turning once, until starting to brown, 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Cool 2 minutes; mince, set aside.
3. Heat same skillet with oil on medium-low. Add whole sage leaves and cook, turning once, until beginning to crisp, 30 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined plate; set aside. Transfer 4 tsp garlic-sage oil to a heat-proof jar; cover and refrigerate to make our Herb-Crusted Cod. Set remaining garlic-sage oil aside.
4. Trim stem of each cauliflower so that it sits flat. Cut each head vertically through stem into two 3/4-inch-thick steaks to make 4 steaks total, reserving loose florets. Arrange steaks in a single layer on 1 prepared sheet; brush with 3 tsp of remaining garlic-sage oil and sprinkle with 2 tsp reserved minced garlic, 1 tsp chopped sage and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Cut reserved florets into bite-size pieces to yield 4 cups (reserve remaining for another use); transfer to a large bowl. Add 2 tsp of remaining garlic-sage oil, 1 tsp chopped sage, 1 tsp reserved minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; toss. Spread on second prepared sheet.
5. Bake cauliflower steaks in top third of oven and florets in bottom third for 15 minutes. Gently turn steaks and florets; switch tray positions and bake until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Let florets cool; transfer to a container and refrigerate to make Herb-Crusted Cod the next night.
6. Meanwhile, separate chard stems from leaves; chop stems to yield 1 cup (reserve remaining for another use). Cut leaves into 2-inch pieces.
7. In a large skillet on medium, heat remaining 2 tsp garlic-sage oil. Add chard stems and cook, stirring often, until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining minced garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chard leaves, beans, tomatoes, olives, broth and 2 tsp vinegar; cover and cook until leaves are wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Uncover; stir in remaining 2 tsp chopped sage, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
8. Divide chard mixture among plates. Top with cauliflower steaks and reserved sage leaves; drizzle with remaining 2 tsp vinegar.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 808 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g