Chai Crème Brûlée
A tea- and spice-infused crème brûlée, complete with caramel-like coating, all for 3 grams of fat and less than 130 calories? Yes, with clean eating it's possible!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Thanks to the inclusion of firm tofu, this decadent dessert boasts 7 grams of protein!
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 3 chai tea bags
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 2 cardamom pods
- 8 oz firm tofu, drained of all water
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and add tea bags, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Cover and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine tofu, egg, egg whites and 1/3 cup cane juice; process until very smooth.
- Remove tea bags and spices from milk. With food processor running, slowly pour milk through feed tube until combined. Divide mixture equally among 6 ramekins. Place ramekins in a baking dish and fill dish with hot water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and chill until serving. To serve, top each crème with 1 tsp cane juice and place under preheated broiler until crystals melt and become browned.
- Serving Size 1 Crème Brûlée
- Calories 126
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 38 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 63 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g