Have 10 Minutes? You Can Make These Coconut Curry Mussels Right Now
It’s hard to believe, but we’ve got a super quick and easy cooking technique that’ll get dinner on the table in 10 minutes flat – seriously!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When you think about making mussels, you probably think about spending quite a bit of time standing over your stove, waiting for the shells to pop open and signal to you they’re ready to eat. Plus, you’ve got to create a sauce and other accompaniments to make your meal complete. But we’re changing all that; we’re speeding up the process and helping you make delicious, flavorful mussels into a dish that’s ready to eat in as little as 10 minutes.
What’s the secret? Well, our Coconut Curry Mussels don’t cook on the stove. You’re going to need a completely different kitchen appliance – one that’s well-known for slashing cooking times and saving home cooks a whole lot of effort.
Our secret to super speedy mussels
How does it take just 10 minutes to prep and cook mussels? The key is an electric pressure cooker.
That’s right: You can pop the ingredients for our Coconut Curry Mussels into your Instant Pot and have a meal ready in almost no time. With just a few minutes of sautéing and a few more minutes cooked under high pressure, you can take your mussels from completely closed-up to ready to eat. Your Instant Pot will take care of the rest.
And we’ve got you covered when it comes to delicious flavor. You’ll spice up your mussels with Paleo-approved additions. A little butter, a can of coconut milk, some chopped onion and a mix of spices like curry powder and cayenne pepper take your shellfish from blah to packed with flavor, especially when cooked under pressure. With the help of your electric pressure cooker, you can infuse the same spicy kick you’d find in a slow-simmered curry, but with way less effort and a far shorter cook time.
Ready to try out these delicious mussels for yourself? Break out your Instant Pot and you can have them in a bowl in no time.
Coconut Curry Mussels
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter, softened
- 1 (14-oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lb mussels, cleaned
- ¼ small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ tsp dried cilantro
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTÉ and melt the butter.
- Pour in the coconut milk, then mix in the mussels, onion, curry powder, salt, ginger, cilantro, and cayenne pepper. Close the lid, set the pressure release to Sealing, and select MANUAL COOK. Set the Instant Pot to 2 minutes on high pressure and let cook.
- Once cooked, perform a Quick Pressure Release by carefully switching the pressure valve to Venting. Remove the mussels and place in 4 serving bowls (discarding any mussels whose shells have not opened). Spoon some of the broth over the mussels and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine