Coconut Lemongrass Soup with Pork
Creamy coconut is balanced with tangy lemongrass in this Asian-style soup that’s brimming with nutritious and fiber-rich vegetables.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red Thai bird’s eye chile pepper, thinly sliced (Tip: For less heat, remove the seeds. You can also wear gloves while handling hot chiles to avoid getting residue on your hands.)
- 1 tbsp minced lemongrass (TIP: Remove the tough outer layers and mince the inner portion near the base of the stalk. You can also purchase an all-natural lemongrass purée for this use.)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 1 zucchini, cut into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 each red and yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced Swiss chard or bok choy
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh
- cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a large, wide saucepan on medium high, heat oil. Working in batches if necessary, add pork and sear, turning once, until browned all over and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer pork to a bowl.
- In same saucepan, combine broth, garlic, chile, lemongrass and ginger; bring to a boil on medium-high. Stir in carrot, zucchini, onion, bell peppers and Swiss chard; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Return pork and any juices to pot. Add milk, fish sauce, tamari, lime juice and honey; bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges (if using).
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups of coconut lemongrass soup
- Calories 264
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 49 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 563 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g