Crab Napoleon Salad With Tomato Seed Vinaigrette
This no-cook, summer-fresh dish is inspired by the Italian Caprese salad.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This salad provides a whopping 98% of the vitamin B12 you need in a day, thanks to the addition of crab. A water-soluble vitamin, B12 aids in the formation of oxygen-carrying red blood cells and is a key component in healthy nerve cells.
- 2 4-inch whole-grain pitas
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 red vine tomatoes, divided
- 2 tsp avocado or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp grainy or Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 oz cooked lump crab meat, picked over
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 yellow vine tomatoes
- 1 firm ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into 8 thin slices
- 8 large leaves fresh basil, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1 5-oz ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, drained and thinly sliced, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. With a small sharp knife, split each pita into 2 single-layer rounds. Mist both sides of each round with cooking spray and transfer to a large baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: Cut 1 red tomato in half crosswise. Over a small bowl, squeeze out as much juice and seeds as possible and collect in bowl. With a small spoon, scoop out tomato pulp and add to juices. Mixture should total 1/3 cup; if not, repeat with 1 additional red tomato. Stir in oil and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice; fold in crabmeat, salt and pepper and set aside. Slice remaining 2 red tomatoes and yellow tomatoes crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Divide pita rounds among plates. Layer each with avocado, red tomato, basil, mozzarella (if using), crab mixture, yellow tomato, and additional basil, mozzarella (if using), and crab mixture. Drizzle vinaigrette over top and around each, dividing evenly. Garnish with basil sprigs.
- Serving Size 1/2 pita with salad
- Calories 262
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 565 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g