Creamy Chicken Biryani
Fragrant spices such as turmeric, cardamom, cumin and coriander infuse this velvety tomato cream sauce. Try serving this dish with whole-grain naan bread or brown rice.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups boxed, jarred or BPA-free canned diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
- 1 cup whole-milk yogurt (TIP: Avoid using nonfat yogurt here as it may curdle when heated.)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- In a large deep skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat oil on medium. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, cardamom, turmeric and pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high and add garlic, tomatoes and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until tomato has broken down slightly, about 5 minutes. Add yogurt, stirring to combine to a thick paste. Add chicken and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- To skillet, add cauliflower; replace lid and continue cooking until cauliflower is tender and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Divide among serving plates and garnish with mint.
- Serving Size 2 cups chicken biryani
- Calories 258
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 91 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 108 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g