Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Try our easy-to-follow Clean Eating menu plans to take the guesswork out of mealtime and keep your clean food diet on track.
- Arrange oven racks in top and middle position; preheat to 300°F. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tsp rosemary and 1/4 tsp cumin. Lightly wet almonds with about 1/4 tsp water and toss with spice mixture. Spread out on a small baking sheet. Bake on top rack for 5 minutes, until golden. Set aside. Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- In a small flat baking dish, combine 5 tbsp yeast seasoning, garlic powder, 2 tbsp parsley, 1 tbsp rosemary, black pepper and 1/2 tsp cayenne.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Working 1 at a time, dip eggplant in egg, turning to coat both sides and letting excess drip back into bowl. Press both sides of eggplant in mixture in baking dish. Place coated eggplant on sheet. Repeat with remaining eggplant. Bake on middle rack for 40 minutes, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a blender, combine tomatoes, basil and garlic until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan on medium. Stir in remaining 1/4 tsp rosemary and cumin, 1 tsp parsley, 1/8 tsp cayenne and bay leaf. Cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in remaining 2 tbsp yeast seasoning. Cover and keep warm on low.
- In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Sauté bell pepper for 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté 10 minutes more, until onions and peppers are soft.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread 2 tbsp tomato sauce on bottom half of each roll. Layer 4 to 5 eggplant slices over sauce. Spoon another 2 tbsp tomato sauce over eggplant and top with about 1/2 cup sautéed peppers and onions. Sprinkle 2 tsp spiced almonds over each sandwich.
- Serving Size 1 roll, 5 oz eggplant, 1/2 c peppers and onions, 1/4 c sauce, 2 t almonds
- Calories 395
- Carbohydrate Content 60 g
- Cholesterol Content 93 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 400 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g