Garlic Lemon Chicken Tacos with Pinto Beans and Salsa Verde
This tomatillo salsa with lime juice and cumin does double duty as both a topper over the tacos as well as a sauce to simmer the beans in for maximum flavor.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Pinto Beans No Salt Added)
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- 8 oz fresh tomatillos, husked, rinsed with warm water and quartered
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped
- fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 serrano chile pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a glass or stainless steel bowl, combine chicken breasts, lemon juice, oil, garlic, black pepper and ¼ tsp salt; cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare salsa: In a blender or food processor, blend all salsa ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine pinto beans and ½ cup salsa. Heat on low, stirring occasionally, until beans are heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan on medium-high. Add tortillas in batches and heat until warm and pliable, about 1 minute per side. Stack tortillas, wrap in foil and set aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Reduce grill or grill pan heat to medium and grill chicken until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F or chicken is no longer pink in thickest part, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board; slice thinly against the grain. Tuck chicken and beans into tortillas, top with salsa verde and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serving Size 2 tacos with toppings
- Calories 394
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 70 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 366 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g