Hasselback Chicken with Tomato Artichoke Sauce
A trick to keeping chicken breast juicy and flavorful? Brine it in salt water as we do in this easy recipe. This makes for a complete meal, thanks to a vibrant side of tomatoes and artichokes. For extra dietary fiber, serve with a side of arugula drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The tomato sauce in this recipe contains a triple dose of prebiotic fiber from the artichokes, onion and garlic. Feeding the bacteria in the gut with non-digestible fiber (aka prebiotics) supports a balanced microbiome, helping to prevent inflammation and regulate the immune system.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Find inspiration here.
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp each red pepper flakes and sea salt
- 1 24-oz BPA-free can diced tomatoes
- 1 10-oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 zucchini, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To a large bowl, add kosher salt. Heat 2 cups water until hot (not boiling); pour into bowl and stir until salt dissolves. Add 2 more cups of cool water. Add chicken; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, pepper flakes and sea salt; cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and artichokes. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400ºF. Remove chicken from brine; pat dry. Cut 6 to 8 slits about three- quarters of the way through each chicken breast, taking care not to cut all the way through. Fill each slit with a slice of zucchini. Drizzle chicken with remaining 2 tbsp oil; sprinkle with oregano and black pepper. Place in an ovenproof dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Top chicken with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes more, until a thermometer placed in thickest part of chicken reaches 165ºF.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes. Serve with tomato-artichoke sauce.
- Serving Size 1 breast and ¼ of sauce
- Calories 451
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 109 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 817 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g