Irish Mint Patties
Refreshing, mint-infused coconut gets sandwiched between satisfying dark chocolate in these light and easy-to-make treats.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Chocolate is a rich source of heart-healthy flavanoids, antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative damage. Always opt for dark over milk chocolate though, as the former has a much higher concentration of these valuable nutrients!
- 8 oz dark chocolate (70% or greater), roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 to 6 small fresh mint leaves, or to taste
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- Line four 12-count mini-muffin pans with paper liners. (If you don’t have four pans, simply do this in batches of two.) In a double boiler, or a bowl over gently simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring constantly. Pour about 1 tsp chocolate into the bottom of each liner, or enough to just coat the bottom. Transfer to freezer for 20 to 30 minutes, until hardened.
- Meanwhile, bring a kettle of water to a boil. In a small food processor, process coconut and mint leaves until finely ground. Add maple syrup, peppermint extract and 1 tbsp boiling water and process until well combined.
- Remove two mini-muffin pans from freezer. Using a small spoon or your hands, add 1 tsp coconut mixture over each chocolate layer, pressing gently to flatten. Remove remaining two mini-muffin pans from freezer. Working one at a time, remove chocolate from liner and place face-down over top of coconut layer; press gently to sandwich. Remove patties from mini-muffin pans and remove remaining liners. Store mint patties in a resealable container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size 1 patty
- Calories 83
- Carbohydrate Content 7 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 1 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g