Jamaican Jerk Kebabs with Spicy Collard Greens & Turnips
Fans of jerk chicken will fall for these spicy pork and onion skewers, served with fiery greens and earthy roasted turnips to cool the palate.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more gluten-free recipes here!
- 1 lb turnips, peeled and each cut into 8 chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb collard greens, rinsed, chopped and tough stems removed (Note: Do not pat greens dry.)
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a medium bowl, toss turnips and 2 tsp oil. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine thyme, allspice, ginger, ¼ tsp cayenne and ¼ tsp salt. In a large bowl, toss pork with vinegar and thyme mixture to coat. Thread skewers with pork and onion, dividing evenly. Arrange an oven-safe wire rack on a foil-lined baking sheet and place skewers on rack.
- About 10 minutes before turnips are done, add skewers to oven and bake for 10 minutes, until thickest piece of pork is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on medium. Add greens and cook until just soft, adding water in 1 tbsp increments as needed, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tsp oil and ¼ tsp each cayenne and salt. Remove from heat. Serve skewers with turnips and greens.
- Serving Size 2 skewers and 1/4 of turnips and greens
- Calories 242
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 74 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 401 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g