Korean Bulgogi Lettuce Wraps
Honey and soy-marinated boneless short ribs are topped with tart pickled carrots. Both the beef marinade and the carrots are made at home, so you simply grill the ribs and assemble the wraps when you’re ready to eat.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
DISEASE-FIGHTING DUO This recipe stars garlic and ginger, both of which have major nutritional impact. The sulfur-containing compounds found in garlic sweep up harmful bacteria and yeast in the intestines and promote production of glutathione, which the body needs to clean up toxins. Ginger contains gingerol-9, a powerful compound that has shown promise in preventing the growth of cancer cells in the prostate, ovaries and prostate.
MAKE AHEAD Marinate the ribs and prepare the Quick-Pickled Carrots (through Step 2).
FINISH ON SITE Grill the beef and assemble the lettuce wraps.
PACK THESE TOOLS Grill, grilling tongs, paper towel, knife, cutting board and platter.
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 green onion, minced
- 3 tbsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome! Raw Honey)
- 2 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1¾ lb flanken-style boneless beef short ribs (12 ribs; about ¼ inch thick)
- 3 tbsp safflower oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 red Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp lime zest + 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 12 red leaf or gem lettuce leaves
- thinly sliced radishes, cilantro sprigs, hot sauce, sesame seeds, optional
- Prepare marinade: In a blender, blend the first 8 ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a zip-top bag with ribs; marinate refrigerated at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare Quick-Pickled Carrots: In a portable lidded container, combine the first 6 ingredients; add carrots and toss.
- Preheat a greased grill or grill-pan on high. Pat ribs dry, discarding marinade, then grill ribs until caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes per side. When cool enough to handle, remove from bone and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Fill lettuce wraps with beef, carrots and, if using, radishes, cilantro, hot sauce and seeds.
Related: Korean Flanken Ribs with Shaved Cucumber & Radish Salad
- Serving Size 2 wraps
- Calories 316
- Carbohydrate Content 7.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 82 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 233 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g