Lemongrass Chicken Satays & Shrimp Fried Rice
The rice in this meal is inspired by Nasi Goreng, a traditional Indonesian fried rice dish. While the recipe differs by region, it’s often made with chicken, shrimp and a variety of vegetables. Here, we swap in fiber-rich brown rice to make this a well-rounded, nutritious meal for a high-carb day.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 8 oz ground chicken
- 3 green onions, finely chopped, white/light and dark green parts separated
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced ginger
- 1 small Thai red chile, chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz medium, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, white/light and dark green parts separated
- 1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari sauce
- Prepare satays: Trim 3 inches off the green tops of lemongrass stalks and discard. Trim 1 inch off bottom of each stalk. Grate bottoms using a fine grater until you have 1 tbsp grated lemongrass. Reserve lemongrass stalks to use as skewers.
- Place grated lemongrass in a large bowl; add chicken, whites of onions, cilantro, ginger, chile and fish sauce. Mix well. Divide into 4 balls. Mould one ball around the larger end of the lemongrass, spreading it out until the meat is about 4 inches in length. Repeat with remaining balls. Brush skewers with oil. Preheat a grill to medium-high. Grill for 12 minutes, turning meat occasionally to cook on all sides.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice: In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add shrimp and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add whites of onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked brown rice, carrot and tamari and cook for 2 minutes. Return shrimp to pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve rice with chicken satays. Garnish with reserved green onion.
Note: If following our Meal Plan, freeze half of chicken and rice separately; thaw and reheat when called for.
- Serving Size 1/2 of recipe
- Calories 588
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 274 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 50 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 1180 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g