Lemony Turkey Kofta on Bulgur with Herb Drizzle
The secret to making these oval-shaped patties ultra moist? Grated zucchini, which not only adds moisture, but also a serving of vegetables.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 cup fine whole-wheat bulgur
- ¼ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 zucchini, grated
- ½ cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano flakes
- ½ tsp + pinch sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Frontier Organic Black Pepper Fine Ground)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh mint
1. Place oven rack 6 inches below broiler and preheat broiler to high.* Line a baking sheet with foil. Prepare bulgur according to package instructions, adding bell pepper and 1 tsp garlic to cooking liquid.
2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, remaining minced garlic, zucchini, bread crumbs, lemon zest, oregano, ½ tsp salt and black pepper. Mix well and form mixture into 16 oval-shaped patties, each about 3 inches long.
3. Brush patties with 1½ tsp oil and arrange on prepared baking sheet. Broil until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Meanwhile, to a blender, add lemon juice, remaining 1 tbsp oil, parsley, mint and remaining pinch salt. Blend, adding a few tbsp water if necessary, until smooth.
5. Fluff bulgur with a fork and divide among plates. Top each serving with 4 koftas and drizzle herb sauce over top.
* To use a grill instead of a broiler, preheat grill to medium-high and oil grill racks well. Grill patties, covered, until meat is no longer pink in center, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serving Size 4 koftas and ¼ of bulgur and sauce
- Calories 412
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 88 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 380 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g