Grilled Cuban Sandwich
Our Cuban sandwich has the requisite fillings (ham, cheese, pickle) with a fraction of the calories – just 231 per sandwich. All you need is 8 minutes and a hearty appetite!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Small but mighty, this sandwich provides 81% of your daily requirement for manganese, a trace mineral that aids in both calcium absorption and carbohydrate metabolism. Our Cuban is also light on sodium and saturated fat, making it a satisfyingly smart mealtime decision.
- 1/2 tsp organic unsalted butter
- 2 white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 slices country wheat or whole-wheat bread
- 2 thin slices low-fat Swiss cheese (1/2 oz), divided
- 1 1/2 oz extra-lean, uncured, roasted ham, sliced
- 2 slices bread-and-butter pickles, optional
- In a small sauté pan, melt butter on medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Between bread slices, layer 1 slice cheese, ham, pickles (if desired), mushrooms and remaining slice cheese. Place sandwich in a hot panini press and grill until bread toasts and cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 231
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 36 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 617 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g