Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When you think of vitamin C, oranges and bell peppers may spring to mind, but don’t forget Brussels sprouts! The little cabbages are chock-full of the nutrient, which helps the body maintain healthy tendons, ligaments and bones (you’ll get 168% of your daily need in each serving of this side!). Brussels sprouts have also been shown to contain low amounts of pesticide residue compared to other vegetables, making them an excellent clean veggie option, even if you can’t purchase organic.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Add Brussels sprouts, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat, spread evenly on sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove from oven, add chestnuts and toss to distribute evenly throughout. Return to oven and bake until Brussels sprouts are tender and golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup
- Calories 125
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 209 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g