Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers
Instead of using traditional hamburger buns, this flavorful sloppy joe is served in roasted bell peppers and finished with basil sprigs for a pop of color and herbaceous flavor.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 6 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 lb ground beef or turkey
- ¾ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 18-oz jar crushed tomatoes or tomato purée
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos or fish sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 3 tsp chili powder blend
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil leaves, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub outside of peppers with one- third of oil and place cut side up in a baking dish. Bake until just softened, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on medium-high. Add beef and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through, 8 minutes. Drain; transfer to a bowl.
3. In same skillet on medium, heat remaining two-thirds of oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Return beef to skillet and add remaining ingredients (except basil). Stir to combine and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Fill peppers with beef mixture. Garnish with basil (if using).
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 411
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 89 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 757 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g