Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Arrange oven racks in upper and lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350 ̊F.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add potato, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1/2 tsp oil on medium-low. Add garlic and sauté, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cumin and sauté for 30 more seconds. Transfer to a medium bowl and gently stir in beans, corn, potato and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg, 2 tsp oil and 3/4 cup water. Gradually stir in flour and salt until just blended. Form into a ball and divide into 12 equal portions. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and roll each ball into a 7- to 8-inch round.
- Spoon bean mixture onto dough, arranging just right of center of each disk. Wet edges of dough and fold one edge over the other to form a semicircle. Crimp edges with the tines of a fork. Arrange on parchment- lined baking sheets. Brush tops with remaining 1 tsp oil and bake, switching positions on racks halfway through cooking, until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a food processor, process cilantro and lime juice until finely minced; add water as needed to reach desired consistency. Transfer to a small bowl and fold in onions. Serve with empanadas.
- Serving Size 3 empanadas and 1/4 cup sauce
- Calories 573
- Carbohydrate Content 96 g
- Cholesterol Content 71 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 18 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 573 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g