Squashy Sloppy Joes
This veg-heavy version of the classic stove-top casserole – featuring both winter and summer squashes – is served over whole-wheat buns to sop up every delicious drop.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Looking for more sloppy joes? Click here.
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 2 cups 1/2-inch diced butternut squash
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 ½ cups 1/2-inch diced tomatoes
- 1 each green and golden zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 1/2 tsp arrowroot, dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet on medium-high, add beef and cook, breaking up with a spatula or spoon, for 1 minute. Add butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and onion is becoming translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, zucchini, broth, tomato paste and soy sauce, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until vegetables are tender and mixture is saucy, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange a rack 3 to 4 inches from top heat source and preheat broiler to high. Arrange buns, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Toast until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add arrowroot mixture to beef mixture, stirring until sauce thickens, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Season with salt.
- Arrange buns on plates and top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Serving Size 1 cup sloppy joe
- Calories 347
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 54 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 514 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g