Sweet Potato Nachos with Veggie Packed Queso
Cashew butter and an array of cooked vegetables are blended into a creamy sauce that’s drizzled over these nachos made from sliced sweet potatoes. You may have some leftover sauce, but it’s great reheated and poured over roasted vegetables or drizzled over chili. Simply cover and refrigerate and then reheat on the stove top.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If you find that traditional queso tends to be a food-with-no-brakes for you, you can opt to leave the sauce out entirely and simply serve the sweet potato nachos with extra veggies and a side of guacamole.
- 3 medium–large sweet potatoes, sliced about ¼-inch thick
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped sweet potatoes
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- 5 tbsp avocado oil
- ¼ cup raw cashew butter (NOTE: Or use ¼ cup cashews, soaked in water for 1 to 5 hours, drained.)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Sliced jalapeño, cilantro, sliced avocado or guacamole, salsa, seasoned and cooked ground beef or turkey, diced red onion, and cherry tomatoes
1. Make nachos: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on sheets. Brush both sides with coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, flip over and bake 10 minutes more, until crispy.
2. Meanwhile, make “queso” (if using): To a medium saucepan, add water, chopped potato, onion and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
3. To a high-powered blender or food processor, add avocado oil, cashew butter, lemon juice, garlic, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water and process until completely smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Assemble nachos: Place 1 layer of sweet potato slices on a platter and drizzle with queso (if using) and desired toppings. Arrange another layer of sweet potatoes, queso and toppings.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 279
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 644 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g