The Genius (Splatter-Proof) Way To Make Pancakes
You don’t have to make pancakes one by one anymore with our gluten-free apple version that pours all the batter into a cast-iron skillet and bakes in the oven – no flipping or messy splatter involved.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
You may have heard the saying, “the first pancake is always spoiled” – which is usually the case when you make traditional pancakes on the stove top, painstakingly flipping each and trying to avoid splatter. But this mouthwatering gluten-free apple pancake made in a skillet and drizzled with maple syrup delivers all the same flavors, without the mess.
Revamp your pancake method
Traditional pancakes will always have their place on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but for those of us who might want to eat pancakes all week long, they aren’t practical. In our gluten-free apple pancake, you simply preheat your cast-iron pan while you prepare a quick, gluten-free pancake batter. Then you add the batter and apple slices to the skillet and bake until golden and slightly puffed up. Instead of getting a pile of pancakes, each person gets a delicious slice. You can even make it ahead and reheat throughout the week.
A better batter
Since we wanted our gluten-free apple pancake to be a healthier pancake option suitable for weekdays, we also reevaluated the basic pancake ingredients – flour, eggs and milk – and made them better. Instead of wheat flour, we’ve used a combination of almond and arrowroot flours, which makes this pancake suitable for both gluten-free and Paleo diets. We’ve also swapped regular milk for coconut milk in our gluten-free apple pancake, which makes the recipe dairy-free as well.
The entire recipe uses only 1 tbsp of maple syrup in the batter so you can control the amount of sugar you’re getting by adjusting the amount you drizzle over top. There is enough sweetness coming from the apples that you won’t need to douse it.
You’re going to love waking up to this gorgeous, gluten-free skillet apple pancake, and even better, it’ll take no time to clean up after.
Skillet Apple Pancake
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup BPA-free canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup + additional for drizzling
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch/flour or tapioca starch
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon + additional for serving
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 sweet apple (Gala or Pink Lady), peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- Place a large cast-iron skillet in center rack of oven and preheat to 450ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Carefully remove the skillet from oven and drizzle in oil. Brush it around the skillet to coat the bottom and sides.
- Pour batter into the skillet. Scatter the apple over top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden and slightly puffed.
- Serve sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with maple syrup, to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine