Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A staff favorite, this lasagna is delicious as is, but it can also be customized to your taste: Use thinly sliced eggplant in place of some or all of the zucchini; add cooked ground beef, turkey or pork to the sauce; or use a spicy sauce, such as arrabiata, or add red pepper flakes for some heat.
The tomato sauce in this hearty dish adds serious health benefits: Studies suggest that consuming foods rich in lycopene, a carotenoid found in the skin of the tomato peel and the ripened fruit, may reduce the risk of cancer as well as cardiovascular disease.
- Place a rack in second-highest position in oven; preheat broiler to high. Working in three batches, arrange zucchini on a baking sheet, mist with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp salt per batch. Broil until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large paper towel-lined plate.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a medium bowl, fold together ricotta, Parmesan, egg, basil, pepper and remaining 1/8 tsp salt. Spread ½ cup marinara over bottom of a 7 x 11-inch baking dish. Place a layer of zucchini over sauce. Carefully spread 2/3 cup ricotta mixture over zucchini; sprinkle with ½ cup mozzarella. Repeat twice, then top with a final layer of zucchini and ½ cup marinara. (You’ll have ½ cup mozzarella left; keep it in the refrigerator.)
- Cover baking dish with foil; bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with reserved ½ cup mozzarella and bake 20 minutes more, until cheese on top has melted and lasagna is bubbling. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. To serve, cut pieces, place in a baking dish and bake at 350ºF for 10 to 15 minutes to warm through. You may see some water surrounding the pieces after baking; simply lift pieces out with a spatula and discard liquid. Garnish with additional basil before serving.
Note about duration: Plus 4 hours chilling time.
Related: Sweet Potato Lasagna
- Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
- Calories 253
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 75 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 734 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g