Our Favorite Black Bean Burger
This isn't just a good vegetarian burger — it's a good burger, period. Spicy and smoky, it's packed with protein and topped with creamy WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE, for a filling and delicious meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Smoky, hearty, and flavorful, this vegetarian black bean burger will become a staple in your dinner rotation. The secret is to dry the beans in the oven before forming the patties, so they stay firm and not mushy. Serve with our Sweet Potato Fries with Chipotle Dipping Sauce for a satisfying meal.
Black Bean Burger
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans; drained, rinsed & patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large jalapenos, finely diced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7.8 ounce) package CHI-CHI’S® Restaurante Style Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 hamburger buns
- 6-8 Pepper jack cheese slices
- WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Spicy
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- Sprouts or lettuce
- Heat oven to 325°F. On large rimmed baking sheet, place blacks beans. Bake 15 minutes, or until slightly dried out. Increase oven temperate to 375°F.
- In medium skillet, over medium heat, heat oil. Sautee olive oil, jalapenos, onion and garlic for 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- In large bowl, combine sautéed mixture and remaining ingredients. Stir in black beans, mashing slightly.
- Form mixture into 1/3 cup patties. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes, until crisp and cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Spicy, as a burger.
Here are more burger recipes we think you’ll love: