Watermelon Panzanella with Smoky Grilled Chicken
Soft, sweet watermelon offsets the toasted crusty bread in this cooling salad. Peppery arugula, salty feta and easy grilled paprika-rubbed chicken round it off for a complete meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Neutral-flavored oil (such as safflower or grape seed), as needed
- 10 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 oz whole-grain crusty bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced very thin (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 cups chopped seedless watermelon (1-inch cubes)
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped mint leaves or basil leaves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Heat a grill to medium high and lightly oil grates. Season chicken with paprika, 1/4 tsp pepper and salt. Grill chicken, turning 2 or 3 times, until center is no longer pink and internal temperature reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 10 to 16 minutes depending on size. When cool enough to handle, chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Mist a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Add bread and bake, turning halfway, until outside is crisp and light golden brown and inside is still chewy, about 10 minutes.
- To a large bowl, add onion, watermelon, arugula, mint, chicken and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar and honey. Add about half the dressing and toss with a large spoon. Add bread and remaining dressing and toss to combine. Divide among plates and sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Serving Size 1/4 of salad
- Calories 365
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 543 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g