Clean Eggs Benedict

Instead of the traditional ham or bacon topping, portobello mushrooms are called upon to provide a meaty texture and a rich, woodsy flavor.

Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.

Serves: 4
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes


  • 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 3/4 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
  • 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 packed cups fresh baby spinach
  • 3 cups portobello mushrooms, chopped
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 10 egg whites
  • 4 whole-grain English muffins, split and toasted


  1. Place flour in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, add cheese, salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, stirring until melted.
  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add and sauté spinach, mushrooms and remaining pepper until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. In a separate skillet coated with cooking spray, scramble egg whites over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Top English muffin halves evenly with scrambled egg whites and spinach-mushroom mixture, then drizzle with cheese sauce. Serve immediately.

Nutrients per serving (1 1/2 English muffin halves, 1/4 cup egg whites, 1/4 cup spinach mixture, 2 tbsp cheese sauce): Calories: 270, Total Fat: 4.5 g, Sat. Fat 1 g, Carbs: 36 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 10 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 580 mg, Cholesterol: 5 mg

Nutritional Bonus: Mushrooms may consist of nearly 90% water, but the remaining 10% still offers a host of beneficial properties. They have a high concentration of amino acids as well as vitamin D, which is particularly important for bone health. Plus, portobellos are excellent sources of niacin, potassium and selenium.

Video: Leafy Green Vegetables

Like mom always said: Eat your greens! Chef Jo gives you the lowdown on super-nutritious leafy green vegetables and how to use them in your cooking.

Trending on Clean Eating

Show Your Liver Some Love: A Clean Eating Webinar

Join Clean Eating dietitians Tiffani Bachus and Erin Macdonald for an exclusive webinar all about liver health and wellness.