Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Five eggs become one whole egg plus two whipped egg whites for structure and a bit of whole-wheat pastry flour adds the protein needed for strength and shape, plus whole-grain benefits.
READER RECIPE TESTER
Sandy Cordeiro | Toronto, Ontario
“My mother has been making her cupcakes since I was a little girl – they are special-occasion staples. My parents passed along a love of sweets to me – we don’t mess around when it comes to cupcakes! But since I started eating clean, I’ve learned that good food and healthy food can be one and the same, and I want to pass that along to my family.”
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cocoa powder, 1 cup Sucanat, flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, 1/3 cup milk, oil, vanilla and whole egg.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Combine everything with a rubber spatula.
- Add egg whites to a large clean, dry mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip whites with hand beater or whisk attachment of stand mixer until they begin to get foamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup Sucanat very gradually to whites. Continue whipping whites into medium-stiff peaks.
- Fold whites in thirds into cake batter, gently but assertively with rubber spatula.
- Fill each of the 12 cupcake liners 3/4-full with batter. Tap bottom of filled muffin pan on countertop and transfer immediately to oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool completely.
- When cupcakes are completely cool, combine chocolate and remaining 2 tsp milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir until melted chocolate is completely smooth. Spread a thin layer on top of each cupcake. Sprinkle additional chocolate shavings on top, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 cupcake
- Calories 160
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 85 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g