Baby Spinach and Tomato Salad with Grilled Prawns
Experience the grilled smoky flavor of prawns on top a bed of light crunchy spinach and juicy cherry tomatoes on this light, delicious and satisfying salad.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more big leafy salads here!
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb prawns or shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 10-inch sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup vinegar on medium. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until syrupy and reduced by about three-quarters. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk shallot, garlic, basil, pepper flakes and remaining 1 tbsp vinegar until well blended. Slowly whisk in oil until blended. Season with salt and black pepper. Remove 2 tbsp marinade, transfer to a small bowl and set aside; add prawns to remaining marinade and toss to coat.
- Heat an outdoor grill on medium-high. Pinch rosemary sprigs one-quarter of the way up from bottom stem and pull down with your fingers to remove bottom leaves. Carefully thread prawns onto bare ends of rosemary sprigs. Season with salt and black pepper and add to grill. Cook for 2 minutes per side, until just cooked through. Remove from grill and let rest for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, toss spinach and tomatoes with reserved 2 tbsp marinade. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve rosemary-prawn skewers over salad and drizzle with reduced vinegar.
- Serving Size 2 skewers and 1 cup salad
- Calories 196
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 135 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 369 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g