Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Shallots
Caramelized shallots and crispy bacon impart big flavor to these shredded Brussels sprouts topped with crunchy pumpkin seeds. To make this dish vegetarian, you can omit the bacon and sauté the shallots in olive oil instead. To ensure it’s Whole30 compliant, look for bacon that doesn’t contain sugar.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
3 slices bacon, no added nitrates or nitrites, chopped<
3 tbsp roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 3 small shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- To a large skillet on medium, add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and fat has rendered, 6 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shallots to skillet and season with ⅛ tsp salt and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes. Increase heat to medium; add Brussels sprouts and ⅛ tsp salt and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add vinegar and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until Brussels sprouts are wilted. Season with remaining ¼ tsp salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; top with reserved bacon and seeds.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 178
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 14 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 421 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g