Beet & Beef Burgers with Tomato Relish
We’ve spiked these beef burgers with grated beet and carrot to add a hint of sweetness and a healthy dose of fiber. Any whole-grain bun or lettuce wrap works well with this burger – then add your favorite toppings such as tomatoes, onion and lettuce.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Want more burger recipes? Click here!
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 red beet, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped fresh basil and parsley
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill to medium. Fold a 24-inch-long sheet of heavy-duty foil in half crosswise to make a 12-inch square. Slice off top third of garlic head to expose cloves; place head in center of foil and drizzle with oil. Fold up edges of foil to create a pouch, pinching to seal. Place on grill, close lid and grill until cloves are soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes, cut side down, on grill. Close lid and grill, turning once, until lightly grill-marked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a food processor. Squeeze garlic cloves into processor. Add vinegar, honey and allspice and pulse until coarsely chopped. Scrape into a small bowl; set aside.Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together beef, beet, carrot, egg, bread crumbs, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Shape into 6 patties.
- Lightly grease grill grates. Place patties on grill, close lid and grill on medium heat, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer reaches 160°F when inserted in thickest part, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with relish.
- Serving Size 1 patty and 2 tsp relish
- Calories 176
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 81 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 166 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g