Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts & Parmesan Frittata
Brussels sprouts are so much more than side-dish fare – here, we’ve sautéed them with sweet squash, fragrant garlic and hearty mushrooms for a crowd-pleasing veggie frittata that comes together in just 35 minutes!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more breakfast recipes here!
- 5 large whole eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 large egg whites)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 1/4 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- and quartered
- 2½ oz white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup peeled and diced butternut squash (¼-inch cubes)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- (Try Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese varieties)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, ¼ tsp salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet, heat oil on medium. Add Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, squash, shallot, rosemary and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Sauté, stirring often, until mushrooms and squash are tender and Brussels sprouts are almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Arrange vegetables in an even layer in skillet.
- Pour egg mixture over top and gently shake pan to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with goat cheese and Parmesan and cook undisturbed until edges set, about 3 minutes. Transfer to oven and cook until eggs are completely cooked through and cheese melts, 10 to 12 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. To serve, carefully invert onto a plate.
- (Tip: Run a thin knife around edge and place plate over top of skillet; flip skillet to release onto plate.)
- Serving Size 1/4 of frittata
- Calories 173
- Carbohydrate Content 9.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 238 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 453 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g