Butterscotch Squash Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze
Coffee cake doesn’t have to be understated – with whole-grain flour, flaxseeds and squash for added nutrition, plus an indulgent maple glaze drizzled over top, this cake will surely get noticed.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If you love maple flavor, try our low-calorie Maple Cornbread recipe!
- 2 cups whole-grain spelt flour
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon)
- 1½ tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- ¼ tsp each ground nutmeg, allspice and sea salt
- 1¼ cups buttercup squash purée (NOTE:Peel and roast buttercup squash, then purée in a food processor; or use canned unsweetened butternut squash purée.)
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ginger purée (peel and grate on a fine grater)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted unsalted pecans, chopped
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 6 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1½ tbsp buttercup or butternut squash purée
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch Bundt pan.
- Prepare glaze: In a medium saucepan on medium, melt coconut oil. Whisk in remaining glaze ingredients and bring to a simmer for about 8 minutes, whisking occasionally, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool for about 1 hour, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1¼ cups squash, grape seed oil, ½ cup maple syrup, coffee, vinegar, ginger, 2 tsp vanilla and 1/3 cup water. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool in pan.
- Invert cake onto a plate and lift off pan. Drizzle with half of glaze, sprinkle with pecans then drizzle with remaining glaze.
- Serving Size 1/12 of cake
- Calories 362
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 4.5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 253 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 8 g