Chicken Parmesan with Cheesy Eggplant Stacks
Baking the panko-crusted chicken on a wire rack lifts it away from the cooking juices, keeping the crust from getting soggy. Our eggplant stacks taste just as good as traditional eggplant Parm – but they’re ready in a fraction of the time!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Also see 24 Clean Chicken Recipes.
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder and ground black pepper
- 1 egg white
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb), halved horizontally
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour (TRY: King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed (about 20 oz), cut crosswise into 8 slices about ½ to ¾ inch thick
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut crosswise into ¾-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Arrange a wire rack over sheet; mist with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare chicken: In a large shallow plate, combine panko, Parmesan, oregano, garlic powder and pepper. In a separate shallow dish, whisk egg until frothy. Dust chicken with flour, shaking off excess. Working 1 piece at a time, dip chicken in egg, turning to coat. Press both sides into panko mixture. Transfer to rack; mist tops with cooking spray. Bake until no longer pink inside, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven; cover with foil.
- Meanwhile, prepare stacks: Spread eggplant and tomatoes in a single layer on a separate rimmed parchment-lined sheet. Brush with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper. Bake until eggplant is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler; arrange rack 6 inches from top heat source. Sandwich tomato between eggplant slices to make 4 stacks; sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil until cheese melts, 1 minute. Sprinkle with basil. Serve with chicken.
- Serving Size 1/4 recipe
- Calories 392
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 78 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 503 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g