Chicken & Wild Mushroom Casserole
This warm and comforting casserole pairs well with steamed broccoli or a green salad.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 6-oz bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried sage leaves, divided
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups sliced wild mushrooms (such as cremini, chanterelle or shiitake)
- 2 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup half-and-half, optional
- Arrange a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil on medium high. Season chicken with salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp sage and thyme. Working in batches if necessary, sear chicken, skin side down first, for about 4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium.
- To Dutch oven, add shallots, celery and remaining 1/4 tsp sage. Cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add broth and 1/2 cup water, and stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring to a simmer, then add rice and half-and-half (if using). Return chicken and any juices to pot, then cover and bake until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast and 1/4 of rice mixture
- Calories 394
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 87 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 242 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g