Chocolate Iced Vanilla Spiced Donuts
Move over cupcakes, healthy donuts are the new sweet treat in town. You won’t believe how delicious and healthy these baked donuts are. Made with coconut flour and coconut sugar and iced with a creamy chocolate cashew frosting, these will be a crowd pleaser at kids’ birthday parties and dinner parties. You’ll definitely want to double or triple your batch!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For more about this recipe see “Where Healthy Family Fare Meets Fun“
- ¼ cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil + additional for greasing
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2½ tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water at least 4 hours and drained
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup almond milk or other milk of choice
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ½ cup toasted coconut ribbons, optional
1. Preheat over to 350°F. Grease donut pan well with oil. (NOTE: Donut pans vary in size, so the yield may vary slightly.)
2. Into a large bowl, sift coconut flour. Whisk in coconut sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, cream of tartar, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add eggs, oil and 2 tsp vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, stir batter together until well combined.
4. Spoon into prepared donut pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in a donut comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Let donuts cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely at room temperature.
5. Meanwhile, make icing: In a blender, combine drained cashews with remaining ½ tsp vanilla, maple syrup, almond milk and cacao powder until smooth. Once donuts have cooled completely, spread with icing and garnish with a sprinkling of toasted coconut ribbons (if using). These donuts are best served within a couple of hours of assembling.
- Serving Size 1 donut