Crispy Chicken Sandwich with Lemon Dill Yogurt
Baking panko-encrusted chicken ensures a delightfully crispy bite and eliminates extra oil from frying. Add flavor, creaminess, and extra protein with our Clean Eating recipe for lemon dill sauce thickened with Greek yogurt.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more chicken recipes here!
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 thin whole-grain sandwich buns, toasted
- 2 cups watercress, trimmed
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, dill and lemon juice. Season with 1/8 tsp each salt and black pepper; set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg whites, Dijon and remaining 1⁄8 tsp each salt and black pepper; set aside. Transfer panko to a shallow pan or plate. Transfer flour to a second shallow pan or plate.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess, then in egg white mixture. Press cutlets gently into panko and transfer to a baking tray or plate.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet on medium-high. Working in batches if necessary, sear chicken until golden brown and fully cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Assemble sandwiches: Split buns and spread yogurt-lemon mixture evenly onto cut sides of bread, dividing evenly. Layer bottom half of each bun with 1 chicken cutlet and even amounts of watercress, cucumber and roasted peppers. Cover each with top half of bun.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 348
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 500 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g