Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry with Spaghetti Squash
Many stir-fry sauces contain soy sauce and sugar, both of which are off the menu on the Whole30 plan. This healthy remake uses coconut aminos, sesame oil and ginger for maximum flavor while sticking to compliant ingredients.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1 5- to 6-lb spaghetti squash
¼ cup avocado oil, divided
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
3 cups sliced carrots
3 cups sliced white mushrooms
1¼ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
8 cups chopped bok choy
3 green onions, sliced
¼ cup sesame seeds, divided hot sauce, optional
½ cup coconut aminos
¼ cup sesame oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp arrowroot starch 1½ tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut squash in half and scoop out and discard seeds. Brush cut sides of squash with 2 tbsp avocado oil and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake for 35 minutes or until flesh is soft when poked with a fork. Remove squash from rind by scraping with a fork to make strands that resemble spaghetti; set aside in a bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium-low, heat remaining 2 tbsp avocado oil. Add yellow onion and cook until translucent, 5 minutes. Add carrots and mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more. Add chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes more.
3. Make sauce, in a blender, place sauce ingredients and pulse until blended. Add sauce to skillet along with bok choy. Sauté until bok choy wilts, about 5 minutes.
4. Divide spaghetti squash among bowls. Divide veggie-chicken mixture among bowls and top each with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, store spaghetti squash and veggie- chicken mixture separately in refrigerator and reheat when called for, then top with garnishes.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 748
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 143 mg
- Fat Content 43 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 41 g
- Saturated Fat Content 31 g
- Sodium Content 497 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g