Grain-Free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Few can resist the call of pumpkin spice! These grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free whoopie pies with their cinnamon-cream centers are a hit with all ages.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Twice As Nice
These whoopie pies and our Salted Caramel Cashew “Cheesecake” feature almonds in lieu of heavy grains. This Paleo-friendly
structural stability for the
cheesecake’s crust and the
cake portion of the pies
and adds a hefty dose of
protein to each serving: A
quarter cup of almond flour,
for instance, has 6 grams of
this muscle-building macro,
compared to around 3 grams
for regular white flour.
- 1 3/4 cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (Try: Now Real Food Organic Coconut Flour)
- 3/4 tsp each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda, sea salt, ginger and cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted almond or cashew butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Almond cream cheese
- 8 oz almond milk cream cheese
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To a large bowl, add almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, coconut oil, almond butter, eggs, pumpkin purée, honey and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
3. Using a small ice-cream scoop (or about 2 tbsp at a time), transfer dough onto prepared sheet to make 20 cookies; lightly press each with a spatula. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on sheet, 10 minutes; transfer to rack to cool completely.
4. Prepare filling: Whisk cream cheese, maple syrup and cinnamon until smooth. Spread 2 tbsp frosting
onto flat side of 10 cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat side toward filling. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size 1 pie
- Calories 413
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 37 mg
- Fat Content 32 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 319 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g