Grilled Watermelon Skewers with Feta & White Bean Salad
Smoky flavor of fresh watermelon over tasty greens, feta cheese and white beans makes an antioxidant powerhouse of a salad.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Want more watermelon recipes? Click here!
Antioxidant boost: Watermelon may be everyone’s favorite summer thirst quencher, but it’s also an antioxidant powerhouse. Like tomatoes, it contains lycopene, which is being studied for its anticarcinogenic effects. Plus, the melon’s red flesh contains rich stores of beta-carotene, a carotenoid that may help reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- 1½ cups cooked cannellini beans, rinsed (or BPA-free canned beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups packed arugula
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 seedless watermelon, rind removed and cut into 2-inch square chunks (about 20 chunks)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 metal skewers (14 to 18 inches each)
- In a large bowl, combine beans, arugula, shallot, tomatoes and oil. Add cheese and mix gently. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 plates.
- Preheat a grill to medium. (Alternatively, you can set a broiler to high.) Thread 5 chunks watermelon onto each skewer. Place skewers directly on grill grates and cook, turning 2 or 3 times, until light grill marks appear, 6 to 10 minutes total. (If broiling, place skewers on a broiler pan and cook 8 to 10 inches from heat, turning 2 or 3 times, until light browning is visible, 10 to 14 minutes total.) Rest 1 skewer over top of each salad.
- In a small covered saucepan on medium-high, bring vinegar to a simmer. Uncover and reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a steady simmer. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until vinegar coats bottom of pan when tilted and is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately drizzle vinegar over salads and watermelon, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup salad and 1 watermelon skewer
- Calories 219
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 320 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g