Peach-Glazed Chicken Thighs with Mustard Greens
Juicy peach breaks down into a luscious sweet sauce for chicken thighs in this rustic dish. To easily peel the peach, score an X in the bottom of the fruit and blanch it in a saucepan of boiling water until the skin begins to loosen, about 30 seconds. Transfer the peach to a bowl of ice water to chill; use a paring knife to peel away skin.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more budget recipes here.
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 1½ lb), trimmed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp safflower or olive oil
- 1 large parsnip, peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise into 1-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (TRY:Vermont Pure Maple Syrup)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large peach, peeled, pitted and chopped (TIP:Substitute with 2 cups frozen diced peaches, thawed and drained.)
- 10 oz mustard greens, thick stems removed and leaves torn (about 12 cups)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a heavy 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium. Add chicken, flesh side down, and cook undisturbed until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Turn chicken and arrange along outer edge of skillet. Add parsnip to center of skillet, spreading in a single layer. Cook undisturbed until beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, maple syrup, vinegar and mustard and stir into skillet. Stir in peach and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook undisturbed until peach is softened and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken reads 165˚F, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add mustard greens and cook until bright green, about 30 seconds. Drain well and pat dry or whirl in a salad spinner.
- Stir mustard greens into chicken mixture. Increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, basting chicken with sauce occasionally, until sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serving Size 1 thigh
- Calories 322
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 133 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7.5 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 449 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3.5 g