Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Rub inside of each pumpkin half with 1 tsp oil, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp allspice (per half). Wrap each half in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until very tender, 45 to 60 minutes. (NOTE: If using pumpkin purée, add 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp allspice to the purée then divide into a mixing bowl and saucepan as described in Step Three.) Set aside to cool, wrapped, for 20 minutes.
- On a small baking sheet, toss seeds with 1 tsp oil, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp allspice. Spread in a single layer and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring every 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Scoop pumpkin flesh from skins. Transfer to a food processor and purée until smooth. Transfer 1 cup purée to a medium mixing bowl. Transfer remaining 1 cup to a medium saucepan and set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks into purée in mixing bowl. Sift in 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 tsp salt. Fold together until a soft, sticky dough forms. Scoop dough in 5 portions, about 1/4 cup each, onto a lightly floured surface. Sift 1 tbsp flour onto each portion and knead each just until mixture comes together.
- Roll each portion of dough gently with floured hands into 12-inch-long ropes, approximately 3/4 inch in diameter. Using a sharp floured knife, cut each rope into 12 pieces. With a floured fork, roll each piece toward you and then lightly back, creating an indented oval shape.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook gnocchi until they float, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to a bowl and toss with 1 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt; cover.
- Bring reserved saucepan of pumpkin purée to a boil on low, whisking in 6 tbsp to 1/2 cup water, or to desired consistency. Whisk in cream cheese, little by little, waiting to add more until previous cubes have dissolved. Fold in spinach 1 cup at a time, until wilted. Season with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp allspice, or to taste.
- To serve, divide gnocchi among 4 bowls, approximately 15 pieces each. Spoon sauce over each and sprinkle with spiced pumpkin seeds.
- Serving Size 15 pieces gnocchi, 1/2 c sauce, 2 T seed
- Calories 375
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 108 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 841 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 8 g