This savory Greek-style pastry is a great way to incorporate more spinach in your diet. We use a whole-grain phyllo dough brushed with olive oil and feta cheese to add a creamy, salty kick. If you’re sensitive to gluten, see the tip at the bottom of the recipe to easily adapt it. For a prettier presentation, we simply take the phyllo and crumble it over the top of the pie before baking it.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: To make this recipe gluten-free, swap a frozen gluten-free pie crust for the phyllo dough. Thaw crust, fill with spinach mixture, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until filling is set and crust is golden. If you want a top crust, try this simple alternative to a lattice topping: Thaw a second crust and roll out into a thin layer. Using a pizza wheel, cut the dough into thin triangles. Transfer triangles to top of filled pie, placing the point of each triangle in the center, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups crumbled full-fat feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- ½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 7 sheets frozen whole-wheat phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using your hands, press out as much water as possible from spinach by squeezing in large piece of linen or a lint-free kitchen towel. In a large bowl, mix together spinach, leek, feta, eggs, dill, salt and pepper.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 sheet of phyllo dough, pressing dough into bottom edges of dish. Brush with oil. Place another sheet of phyllo dough into pan off-center, allowing dough to extend past edge of pan by about 2 inches. Brush with oil. Rotate dish slightly; place another sheet of dough to cover another section of dish, allowing it to extend past edge of pan by about 2 inches. Brush with oil. Repeat with 3 more sheets of phyllo dough. Press dough gently down into pan.
- Spoon in spinach mixture. Fold overhanging dough up over spinach mixture. Tear remaining phyllo sheet in half and arrange halves over top of pie, crimping and folding to cover. (NOTE: In our version, we left the center open to leave the filling visible, but you can choose to cover the whole top if you prefer.) Brush with oil.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 286
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 705 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g