Slow-Cooker Tuscan Turkey Chili
This satisfying turkey chili boasts classic flavors such as thyme, oregano and basil. Grilled corn lends the dish a modern flair, but frozen corn kernels work just as well if you want to save time.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey breast
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 12 mini redskin potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups dried navy beans, soaked in water for 24 hours (TIP: If you don't have time to soak beans for 24 hours, boil them for 1 hour, until al dente, then drain and set aside.)
- 1 cup tomato purée (passata)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 medium cobs corn or 2 cups frozen and thawed corn kernels
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp fresh grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add turkey and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and onion, stir and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Transfer mixture to a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker. Add potatoes, thyme, bell pepper, broth, beans, tomato purée, Italian seasoning, oregano, pepper flakes and black pepper; stir. Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, if using corn cobs, heat indoor grill or grill pan on medium and lightly char corn all over, about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shave kernels from cob. Set aside. Just prior to serving, stir corn into stew and remove and discard thyme sprigs. Garnish with basil and Parmesan, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 420
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 41 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 110 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g