Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a medium saucepan with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add garlic and pepper
- flakes; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato purée, vinegar, honey, ½ tsp oregano, ¼ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil on medium-high, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard garlic.
- Meanwhile, using paper towels, pat eggplant dry. Season with 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt. Line up 3 shallow bowls. To first bowl, add flour. To second bowl, add 2 egg whites and whisk in 2 tbsp water. To third bowl, add bread crumbs, 1 tbsp Parmesan and remaining 1/8 tsp each oregano and black pepper.
- Dredge each eggplant slice in flour, then in egg mixture and finish in bread crumb mixture, turning to coat evenly and shaking off excess. Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a large parchment-lined baking sheet. Mist slices on both sides with cooking spray. Bake until tender, about 25 minutes total, turning halfway.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, remaining 1 egg white and remaining 1/8 tsp salt.
- Mist an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce on bottom of dish. Top with half of eggplant. Using half of ricotta mixture, spoon a dollop onto each slice of eggplant. Pour remaining tomato sauce over ricotta layer and top with remaining eggplant. Press eggplant down to partially submerge in sauce. Dollop remaining ricotta mixture onto eggplant slices. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp Parmesan over top. Bake until ricotta melts and sauce bubbles at edges, about 30 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1/4 of casserole
- Calories 385
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 14.5 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 556 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g