Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
ROAST YOUR OWN PEPPERS:
Preheat broiler. Place peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and mist with cooking spray on all sides. Cook under the broiler, turning every few minutes, until the pepper is charred on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cool for at least 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, slice the pepper open, remove the seeds, and slip away the charred skin.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add barley and broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 to 50 minutes, until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, dill, nutmeg, black pepper and lemon zest. Let mixture cool to room temperature, around 30 minutes, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight (at least 8 hours).
- In the bowl of a food processor, add bread and pulse into breadcrumbs. Transfer breadcrumbs to a large plate and set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove barley mixture from refrigerator and stir in eggs, coating thoroughly. Stir in feta cheese. Scoop 1 heaping tbsp of barley mixture and form into a ball. Roll ball in breadcrumbs until coated and transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture for 30 balls total.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Transfer risotto balls to oven and bake for 25 minutes, until crisp and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare pepper sauce. In the bowl of food processor, blend yogurt, pepper, whole garlic, lemon juice, paprika, coriander and salt until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and serve, or cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serving Size 2 risotto balls and 1 tbsp sauce
- Calories 124
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 255 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g