Summer Roll-Inspired Noodle Bowl
Don’t let this noodle bowl fool you. Although it’s full of crunchy and colorful vegetables, it’s really about the herbs, with refreshing basil and mint in every bite.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb Pad Thai-style brown rice noodles (TRY: Annie Chun’s Pad Thai Brown Rice Noodles)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp safflower or grape seed oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil leaves, ideally Thai basil, divided (TIP: To chiffonade your herbs, pile several leaves on top of one another, roll tightly lengthwise into a cylinder and then cut thinly widthwise, creating fine ribbons.)
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh mint leaves, divided
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks or shredded
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine lime juice, oil, fish sauce, honey and pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Drain noodles, rinse with cold water, drain again and transfer to a large bowl. Toss noodles with three-quarters of dressing, half of basil, half of mint and half of scallions.
- Arrange noodles in individual bowls and top with carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, bean sprouts, chicken, remaining half of basil, mint, and scallions, and peanuts. Drizzle with remaining one quarter of dressing.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 426
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 352 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g