Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes, Kale & Mushrooms
Our healthy take on chicken soup will have you feeling better in no time.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Love soup? Discover our favorite cold-weather soups and stews!
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into half-moons (TIP: Look for dark-fleshed varieties.)
- 1 10-oz bunch Lacinato or Tuscan kale, tough stems removed and leaves coarsely torn
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps thickly sliced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium stockpot, bring broth to a boil on medium-high. Add potatoes and simmer until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add kale and mushrooms and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add chicken and pepper and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Top with cheese and ladle soup into serving bowls, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with additional pepper (if using).
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 297
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 356 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g