Chickpea & Kale Curry with Brown Basmati Rice
In this easy meal, a fragrant curry simmers while the rice steam-cooks over top. Garnish with cilantro.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped, divided
- ¾ cup brown basmati rice, rinsed
- ⅓ cup unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened apricots, chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 3 tsp ground turmeric, divided
- 1¼ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can diced unsalted tomatoes
- 1 13.5-oz BPA-free can full-fat coconut milk
- 1½ cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 2 cups chopped kale or spinach
1. To a large bowl, add chickpeas and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Soak overnight and drain.
2. Press Sauté on Instant Pot and set to More/High; heat 1 tbsp oil. Add half of onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 minutes. Stir in rice, cashews, apricots, garam masala, 1 tsp turmeric and ¼ tsp salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Scrape out rice mixture into a 7-inch round metal dish (about 3 inches tall). Add 1¼ cups hot water and cover tightly with foil. Set aside.
3. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to pot. Add remaining onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Stir in chile pepper, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, honey and remaining 2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt; stir constantly until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk and squash. Press Cancel.
4. Place a trivet (with 2-inch legs) over chickpea mixture in pot. Place rice dish on top of trivet. Lock lid and set release valve to Seal. Press Pressure and set to More/High; adjust cooking time to 28 minutes.
5. Let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes (don’t move the vent), then carefully set release valve to Venting. When metal pin in lid falls and all pressure is released, unlock lid. Using sturdy tongs or heat-resistant gloves, remove rice container from pot. Remove foil and fluff with fork; cover and set aside.
6. To chickpea mixture, add kale; discard cinnamon stick. Press Sauté, set to More/High and simmer chickpeas until kale softens, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with cooked rice.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 742
- Carbohydrate Content 91 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 37 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 25 g
- Sodium Content 652 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g