Country-Style Beef & Green Pepper Soup
While a little less than an hour may seem long until dinner is ready, you can make this soup entrée ahead and enjoy it for dinner or lunch anytime. Trust us, it's even better on the second day!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
To store soup for later, simply make a batch (or two!) and freeze or refrigerate in sealable single-serving containers – an easy meal in a cup.
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 12 oz extra-lean ground beef
- 2 medium green bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 4 oz fresh green beans, trimmed and broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and patted dry
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high, tilting Dutch oven to coat bottom lightly. Add beef and cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Drain beef on paper towels; set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in Dutch oven on medium-high. Add bell peppers and onion and cook for 6 minutes or until edges begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Add beef back to Dutch oven along with tomatoes, beans, corn, cabbage, broth and oregano. Bring mixture to a boil over same heat, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until beans are tender-crisp.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat, stir in remaining ingredients, including remaining oil, and let stand for 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 182
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 5.5 g
- Fiber Content 3.5 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 413 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g