Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This enchilada-inspired casserole has a mild heat that's balanced by cooling yogurt. If you already have cooked chicken on hand, you can skip the first step - if doing so, you'll only need 2 cups broth.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Big fan of enchiladas? Try our Butternut Squash Enchiladas
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (If breasts are very large, cut in half crosswise)
- 6 cloves garlic (smash 2 cloves and mince 4 cloves), divided
- 4 cup slow-sodium chicken broth, or as needed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 white onions, quartered and sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and sliced
- 2 poblano or pasilla peppers, quartered, seeded and sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
- 6 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 3 1/2 cups plain whole-milk Greek yogurt, divided (TRY:Stonyfield Organic Whole-Milk Greek Plain Yogurt)
- 5 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Sea salt, to taste
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, halved
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cupthinly sliced red onion, optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken, smashed garlic and enough broth to cover chicken by 1/2 inch. Bring to a gentle boil on medium, reduce to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Transfer chicken to a plate. Strain broth; reserve 2 cups (save remaining broth for another use).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan on medium, heat oil. Add white onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add bell, poblano and jalapeño peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in minced garlic, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add flour; stir to combine. Add reserved 2 cups broth; bring to a boil, stirring to smooth out lumps. Cook until thickened slightly, 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in 3 cups yogurt, 1/4 cup cilantro and salt. Set aside.
- Shred chicken. Arrange 8 tortilla halves in bottom of prepared pan. Spread one-third of pepper mixture over tortillas and top with one-half of chicken. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortilla halves and remaining pepper mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until cheese begins to brown and casserole is heated through, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with red onion (if using) and remaining 1 tbsp cilantro. Top each serving with a dollop of remaining 1/2 cup yogurt.
- Serving Size 1/8 casserole and 1 tbsp yogurt
- Calories 421
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 72 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 207 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g